Monday, June 13, 2011

Food Dreaming

Photo of Beef Cheeks Taco

In the middle of my 3-month liquid/protein diet, I really have become obsessed with food. I watch Michael while he eats, I search my favorite food site – Tastespotting – and watch Food Network shows I have never watched before. I thought the opposite would be true, that I would be avoiding even food commercials. Funny.

So with all this input, I have decided to gather recipes to create a dinner menu for the next time Kimberly and William come for a visit. Last time they were here, we went to restaurant in the city where they shared 10 small plates with Michael. They loved the amazing array of flavors and textures in one dinner.

The light bulb went on. I have decided to try and cook around 10 small plates as a dinner for them during their next visit. It is going to take a lot of prepping and organization. It will be a whole lot more work than just serving a great dinner.

I am up for it.

So, what am I thinking about serving? I haven’t firmed up the menu but here are some of the contenders:
  •  Breakfast radishes in a sauce of garlic and anchovies.
  •  Potato-and-Brussels-Sprouts Gratin.
  •  Prosciutto and Fig Bruschetta drizzled with Honey and Black Pepper
  •  Sherried Mushrooms
  •  Baked Genoa Salami Chips
  •  Heirloom Tomato and Caramelized Onion Tart
  •  Sauteed Asparagus with Melted Gorgonzola and Pine Nuts
  •  Lamb Sausage with Feta
  •  Arugula Salad with roasted beets, blue cheese and pecans
  •  Olives
  •  Spinach Balls
  •  Bacon-Wrapped scallops with Habanero Mayo Dipping Sauce
  •  The final plate before dessert will be Beef Cheeks Tacos. I will make one each for them, which is all they will really be able to eat by the end of this event. The Beef Cheeks take hours to cook, which will be braised and roasted the day before.

So, that is what I am thinking but it will probably change as I keep searching sites during the final 6-weeks of this horrible diet.

No comments: