Monday, June 27, 2011

More Books

I have been reading a lot. The books written by Lee Child and Brad Thor keep me occupied on the treadmill as the minutes click by quickly. But, when I am at home, I like to read more interesting books. Years ago, I discovered a book titled “Under the Tuscan Sun.” A professor from San Francisco State University along with her husband bought a house in Tuscany and wrote about their adventures. It was nothing like the movie.

She wrote several more books, which were just as delightful. She even included recipes! I recently bought one of her books that was published in 2010 titled “Every Day in Tuscany.” It is just a lovely book. I have missed hearing about her life and their adventures.

Besides that book, I have fallen in love with a beautifully written book by William Kuhn titled, “Reading Jackie Her Autobiography in Books.” This is not just about the life of Jackie Kennedy but her life is put into the context of her life long relationship with books. Rather fascinating. Now I understand why she wanted to die surrounded by her books. They were her true friends.

While buying these books last weekend, I was so surprised to look up from my reading in the bookstore coffee shop to find K.K. coming towards me. She was the transplant coordinator we met at the transplant clinic a few weeks ago. She was also the person who lost 89 pounds on the same liquid diet I am suffering through. We chatted, I asked specific question about the transition into real food and how she has adjusted to the weight loss afterwards.

I mentioned that I have noticed that people look at me and treat me as normal now. So different than when I was 45 pounds heavier. There still is a huge prejudice in this country with fat. No one is allowed to joke about anything else but fat people. It is the last frontier. K.K. told me that she still thinks of herself as fat in her head then reminds herself that, yes, she could sit on a little white folding chair without it collapsing.

Life’s adventures continue for each of us.

No comments: