Sunday, July 10, 2011

Discovering New Bones

We flipped the mattress again last week and the last few nights I had noticed a lump. I would adjust in my sleep but the stupid lump was always there. Nuts. Do we need a new mattress? We just bought this excellent one just five years ago.

With apologies to the mattress, I discovered the cause of the lump. It was me.

Last night, I felt the lump before drifting off to sleep and hopped out of bed to search for the problem. I couldn’t find it. Jumped back in, it was there again.

It took a moment. Then I felt my lower back where the lump had been. There was a large bone. It was my tailbone or coccyx. I had not felt it for years.

I have to adjust to feeling the bones that are emerging after the release of the layers of fat. Suddenly, I see my collarbones, shoulders, hip bones, tiny wrists and, due to all the exercise during the past six years, my thighs are suddenly looking great. What a shock!

I feel like an archaeologist making new discoveries. 

No comments: