Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dreaming of Real Food for Week #1

Fifteen more days of this horrible liquid/protein bar diet. It is getting close to the time when I can eat one meal a day of real food. Real low-carb, low fat food. I can't wait.

I have made some decisions about our first week. On Thursday, July 21st, the first meal will be a dinner of a really good rib-eye steak and cabbage. I love shredded cabbage tossed lightly with a low-carb, low fat dressing. Michael and I will split the steak.

That first week will include half of a chicken breast seasoned with taco seasoning served over lettuce, topped with a tablespoon of non-fat sour cream, guacamole and salsa. This is less than 300 calories and only has 3g fat. I can’t wait.

Chili. I love chili. I found a recipe that has no beans and is low-carb, low fat that sounds really good. It also is served over greens, topped with low fat shredded cheese, nonfat sour cream and chopped onions. This recipe is 292 calories per serving and 5g carbs.

Shrimp. I also love shrimp. Since being on this diet, I found a recipe in a magazine for Basque-style shrimp. It is made with a chili powder rubbed shrimp cooked and served over a cold sauce of garlic, poblano and Serrano chilies, bay leaves, Italian parsley, olive oil, sherry vinegar, fresh oregano and fresh basil. Really low fat and very low-carb: 281 calories and 4 g. carbs.  We will also serve this with cabbage.

And finally, I have been craving pasta. At our organic food store, there are Japanese noodles that are no-carb because they are made with tofu instead of flour. I will make real noodles for Michael but I want my own spaghetti sauce made with ground beef, onions, mushrooms and a good tomato sauce.

Each recipe serves two nights of dinner for the both of us. Michael, who has been eating his own cooking, is also looking forward to my return to the kitchen.

No comments: