Thursday, July 14, 2011

July's Nutritionist Visit

Photo of Los Osos, CA
Wednesday morning was the final meeting with Mr. B. while I am on the liquid/protein diet. He is such a nice man.

We discussed the process of introducing food back into my life. Real food. A week from today. I gave him my suggested dinner menus for the first week, which he approved.

I have to eat 2.5 meals of supplements and only dinner as real food for the first two week. After that, I have to eat 1.5 meals of the supplements and two meals a day for another two weeks.

He was amazed at the rate that I am stilling losing weight. In my opinion, I think it is all the exercise. He, for the first time, said that I might be able to lose the additional eight pounds I want to hit my personal weight goal because my body is still losing at such a rapid rate. Normally, someone my smaller size does not lose as quickly towards the end of this diet.

Nice.

I had arrived very early and headed to the Starbucks across the street for an unsweetened iced tea before my appointment with David. It was packed as it was RAINING outside. I  headed down the block to the entrance of the hospital. There is a very nice sitting area there but even it was packed!

I found a seat and a woman about my age started a conversation with me. We chatted. Her husband had a very rare larynx cancer – only one of twenty in the country right now. Surgery had removed the tumor but the lymph nodes around the area showed some intrusion. Thus, he was in radiation treatment for eight weeks with only three more weeks to go! They were from Los Osos near Morro Bay and Pismo Beach and staying in a hotel during his treatments. I know their area well because Chip, my brother, actually lived in Los Osos while finished up college at Cal Poly and my Aunt Rita lived in Pismo Beach. They were surprised I knew the area so well.

The three of us had lovely chat, exchanged contact information and I told them I would phone in a few weeks to see how he was doing.

I love when that happens. Meeting interesting people living interesting lives with challenges that they are not letting destroy their lives together.

No comments: