Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Obsessed with the Trial

I guess it is being called the trial of the century. The Casey Anthony trial. I have watched the process the entire way through. By the time the closing arguments were finished, I was exhausted.

I have recently learned that both Michael’s mom Mary and my mom were also obsessed with the trial. We have been e-mailing and phoning and sharing our opinions. We all believed she is guilty. We disagree what the jury will do. Someone believed they will not convict. Two of us believed they would.

Death penality? None of us believed that will happen. Life? Maybe. Manslaughter? Probably.

During the jury process, I questioned if I would be able to convict someone to death. It would have to be a clear case of murder. The evidence would have to be indisbutable. But still. I don’t know if I could condemn someone.

Maybe.

Mary texted me when they announced that a verdict had been reached. I was at Safeway before heading to rehab. I quickly drove home for the shocking verdict. It was hard to watch the celebration while thinking that if she didn’t have a hand in the death of that child, who did? 

A child is dead.

No comments: