Saturday, July 23, 2011

Phone Scam

My mom fell for it. On Wednesday, I was on the treadmill when I heard my phone ringing. It was her. She NEVER calls our cell phones. Apparently, she had called the house then tried to call Michael’s cell phone before trying mine.

“I have a situation here!” she said. Apparently, our son William called her, told her he ran a stoplight and was in jail. He needed bail money. As she put down the phone to get a pencil and paper of where to send the $3,000 bail, they hung up.

She was so worried that William would think she hung up on him.

I immediately told her that it was a scam and reminded her that we had a conversation just two weeks ago about this specific scam. Neither of her grandchildren would ever call and ask for money. They both have plenty. Both also have great relationships with their parents and they would not call her for help. In fact, I don’t think either knows her phone number.

She was so upset. She didn’t believe me that it was not William.

I told her William was on tour and not at home. It was not him plus he is such a good driver, he would NEVER run a stoplight.

She still didn’t believe me.

I told her I would text him and get back to her.

I really didn’t think I would hear from William until the afternoon as he works late hours and sleeps in. So, while in Trader Joe’s, I was shocked to discover that he called me in regards to my text.

He was home. He was taking his car into the dealership for service and we chatted while I was parked on the side of the road. He phoned again while I was in another store then again after I got home. It was a lovely conversation.

During one of our phone breaks, I called mom and told her William was fine. She was so relieved. She had been considering canceling her special luncheon with her girlfriends because she was so upset. I told her to go and warn everyone else.

I thought that maybe I should warn Michael’s mom, Mary. So, I phoned her later in the afternoon. She was so surprised that my mom fell for the scam. She did think it was odd, though, that she too received a phone call earlier in the day. Someone called to tell her she had won $2.5M from the Publisher’s Clearing House Sweepstakes and all she had to do was pay the taxes. Mary drove them crazy and played them so much that they hung up on her!

So please, dear reader, don’t fall for either of these current scams.

No comments: