Saturday, July 16, 2011

Rainy July

We live in an area of the country where the rainy season normally ends in April. There is never any rain during the summer. Never.

It rained yesterday. And the day before. And today. In July.

My normal Saturday gardening adventure will not happen today. Too wet!

The fog along the west coast is thick and just does not burn off during the day. My mom lives 100 miles inland where it is usually 100 degrees throughout most of the summer. The high was 81 yesterday. I wonder how this weather is affecting the wine grapes in the Napa Valley. I also wonder how the weather is affecting the crops in the valley where my mom lives. This valley feeds the entire country. Food prices are sure to rise.

When I went to my university hospital for the ILD meeting on Tuesday, I needed an umbrella to walk to the hospital from the parking garage.

I spoke with Christien in North Carolina on Monday. She is suffering with high heat and high humidity, as is most of the country. Record heat. Later that evening, she phoned to let us hear the katydids and other bugs while standing on her back porch. It was a cacophony of sound. So loud! The more humid, the louder they become.

So, we miss the sun. For the first time in years, I can wear fewer clothing because of my weight loss but I am freezing! More sweatshirts! The high yesterday was 59 degrees. And no sun. And wet.

Welcome to summer!

No comments: