Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Vaccines

Last Friday, I got a call from Dr. C. office, my primary doctor in town, to set up an appointment for the Hepatitis vaccines yesterday afternoon.

How nice that she is on top of it, I thought!

I arrived on time but there was a problem. After watching my doctor, Dr. C., take an older woman back to the exam room and some time passed, she was back in the waiting room to tell me that it was going to be a bit. They had called an ambulance for the woman. The EMTs and ambulance finally arrived, she had to have some papers copied, released her patient to the ambulance personnel then, after about 25 minutes, was ready to see me.

She, too, was stunned by my weight loss and wanted all the details. I noticed that she also had reports in my file from my university hospital. Nice that she is kept in the loop of information, I thought.

I was even more thrilled to hear this:  She had read the reports and it was recommended to her that I have the Hepatitis A and B shots. That is why her office called to arrange the appointment! She had READ the reports!!!!! What a doctor!

Having had shingles three times, I had asked Dr. K. if I should have a shingles vaccine. She said, "YES!” but get it from your primary doctor. So while setting up the appointment,  I asked if I could also have the shingles vaccine at the same time. So, I asked Dr. C. about it. It is $245.00 and no insurance covers it! Come on, guys, that is just a bit too much! So, I passed.

No comments: