Saturday, August 27, 2011

Less Oxygen Needed

During the Pulmonary Rehab education classes, we learned that supplemental oxygen is an irritant to the lungs. I thought that was odd. Because of this, the goal is to supply supplemental oxygen to the lungs as needed but no more than necessary to keep the saturation levels above 89%.

The past few weeks, my numbers in rehab have been changing for the better. Saturation rates on all of the equipment has risen dramatically.

Last Thursday while on the treadmill, I was working out at 3.4mph on 2 liters of oxygen and hit 100% saturation. Remarkable.

So with this information, I spoke with the head RN on Tuesday (she is only with us on Tuesdays as she slides into retirement). She reduced my oxygen level to 1 liter. One!

So, back on the treadmill, I worked out on 1 liter and then she checked me to be sure I was above the required 89% saturation.

It was 94%. Unbelievable. Then, I hopped on the bike. She checked. 92%.

We looked at each other, smiled and both shook our heads in amazement.

It has to be related to my almost 60 pound weight loss. Now I am thinking about kicking it up on the treadmill to 3.5mph. We’ll see.

No comments: