Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Adjusting to Moving Forward

The first storm of the season hit last night. This morning, the skies are clear and there is an actual sunrise. It reminds me of the beauty of nature and a reminder to appreciate every moment I have left on this earth. The smells are glorious. Nothing smells like Fall.

I am girding myself (Girding. I love that word!) to make a phone call to my sister this weekend. We are planning Thanksgiving. It is my year. We trade off the holidays each year between my sister's home and ours.

The problem? My mom really is not up to traveling yet. I think physically, she could do it. Mentally, I think she is experiencing anxiety that so many older people experience about having to pack up her house for a few days, staying somewhere else, having to remember everything, not forgetting to take medications on time and all the other pressure of being away from home.

The solution? I have asked mom to make reservations at a really spectacular place just minutes from her home. Not only to they serve Thanksgiving-type food for the holiday but they also have lamb! Prime rib! Chicken! Fish! Perfect.

My sister's family does not do well with changes in routines. They want all the traditions. The problem is that, like living well with a bad diagnosis, things have to be adjusted so that we can all still move forward. Adjust and move on.

No comments: