Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Goodbye Weight Management Clinic

Gyro Burger with Greek Salad
Yesterday was a sad but glorious day. I graduated. They threw me out. After seeing the nutritionist, Mr. B. on December 23, 2010 and Dr. M-J shortly afterwards and working together for 10-months, we said our goodbyes. With a smile and a hug.

To recap: I lost 60 pounds in six months with the ongoing range of 17.5 to 40 mgs of prednisone in my body for six years. Three months included a liquid and protein bar diet which accounted for 33 pounds of the total weight loss. I was in food hell. It was isolating. It was awful.

It has been oddly easy to maintain my weight loss as I have a deep rooted fear of having to return to the liquid diet. I never want to go there again. Ever.

At this point, I can eat whatever I want as long as I stay under 1,400 calories a day. I also can eat one of the formally banned foods as long as it is pared with protein but only two servings of it a week.

There is something psychological about knowing that you can eat anything to really make you not need to eat everything. I find that I don’t stray far from my regular diet though I do revel in having a piece of fresh bread with butter (shocking!) when we go out to lunch or dinner. I feel naughty. It tastes soooo good. A rare treat.

So, as one reader asked, what do you eat?

A reminder that I use low fat everything and adjust the recipes so the protein serves 4ozs per serving for 4 servings. We have leftovers for the next night’s dinner. Here is the menu for next week with the dinner recipes:

Breakfast: Crustless Quiche made with Egg Beaters, non-fat cottage cheese, low fat shredded Jack cheese, smoked salmon, scallions and dill.

Lunch:  ½ of a chicken breast that has been roasted on the bone or canned white tuna both served with chopped veggies or shredded cabbage mixed with a small amount of salad dressing.

Dinner:
Baked Meatballs served with Pasta Slim (no carbs)

Cheesy Chili Chicken with an artichoke

Gyro Burger with Greek Salad

Pecan Chicken with an artichoke

Preparation is the true secret of my maintenance success. I must have the food in the house and a menu so there is no last minute panic or choice that may not be the best for me.

My goal for years has been to lose weight and now it is to keep it off. But, it also allows me to begin to address other goals, ones that I had dismissed to focus on weight loss. It is going to be an interesting year ahead.

No comments: