Saturday, October 15, 2011

Lovely Time Out

Today is the beginning of Pumpkin Festival weekend. Too crazy. Over 300,000 people are expected to make their way to our small town. Hours and hours will be spent by most of them as they try to drive over the pass. I am staying home all day. The weather is beautiful - in the 70's - so the garden calls. There is always an area that needs attention. I also see a nap in my future!

When I was first diagnosed and trying to deal with the fact that I was facing a fatal illness, I just wanted to feel normal once in a while. Somewhere where no one wanted to talk about my illness. Somewhere to get away from it.

My friend Natalie was just home on maternity leave and lived close to my hospital in the big city. We would meet at her apartment, I would hold the baby – Winnie – and it was a reminder to me that the cycle of life continued. We never had time to talk about my disease as the focus was on the baby. It was a lovely time out.

As Winnie grew, they bought a house in my town and she and Ethan welcomed the adorable Oliver. Yesterday, they came to the house for lunch and a visit. The focus was on the kids and for a few hours, I forgot I am ill.

I served them small pizzas and a nice salad and even some Halloween cookies. The weather was beautiful at the moment so we had the kids outside most of the visit. They rode their bikes in front of the house and we even let them run through the sprinklers in front. Afterward, they sat in the sun to dry off while eating small single servings of ice cream. A perfect day.

I am exhausted from the all the energy. Kid energy. I don’t know how Natalie has enough energy to keep up with them!

But, I had a great day. I had another day away from the disease. It was simply lovely.

In other news:  Lois sent a recipe that was so good and healthful that I must pass it along.

Brussel Sprouts Slaw
Shred 1-1/2 lbs brussel sprouts, using a box grater or food processor.  
Whisk together 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup lime juice,  2 tbls fish sauce ( mostly extracted anchovy) and 2 tsp sugar.  
Toss with the sprouts, 1/2 cup chopped scallions, 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, and 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro.

No comments: