Thursday, October 13, 2011

Make New Friends

Roof top dining near a fireplace at Park Chow. Our table is on the left.
Monday, I met the beautiful and smart Susan from the ILD group for lunch at her request. I was intrigued and wondered why she wanted to meet. I guess she just thought I was interesting and feisty. Love that.

So much. We talked about so much. Mostly talked about being ill, the effects it has on our work and family and how we deal with it emotionally and socially.

What I think is her biggest struggle is an unclear diagnosis. One group of doctors feels it is IPF and another group feels it is my disease, hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Sadly, the IPF diagnosis was delivered to her bluntly along with a three years prognosis. It is horrible to not have a definitive diagnosis.

Three and a half hours later, we departed. The time flew by.

Yesterday, I was hauling groceries into the house and beginning to make a raw brussel sprouts slaw when Susan phoned and we talked again for almost two hours. I swear, she is the nicest woman!

Today, we are going to meet again with our husbands in tow this time for the annual ILD Support Group Luncheon. In one room with us will be various doctors, researchers, faculty and staff of the ILD Clinic, Chest Faculty Clinic and Lung Transplant Clinic. It is heartening to hear a review of the year and what the focus of these various groups will be going forward.

And the food is usually great, too!

No comments: