Saturday, October 29, 2011

Nothing is Impossible

That is the title of a book I just finished reading written by Christopher Reeve. Superman. It is about living as a quadriplegic after a horse riding accident. Its subtitle is “Reflections of a New Life.” My friend Barbara sent it for me to read. We have very different problems, Christopher and I, but really not so different outlooks or aspects on dealing with a new life. A changed life.

The chapters are broken down to subjects of Humor, Parenting, Religion, Advocacy and Hope among others. These are all subjects that have been written here in this blog from the beginning.

There were other correlations. He mentioned several times that he did not except failure well. He also did not handle criticism well. He clearly was an Alpha male and a Type A personality. After reading about his determination to walk again, I realized what I suspected all along - that I really am an Alpha female and a Type A personality though my edges have been softened living with a decidedly Type B non-Alpha male. This non-Alpha male does not let me dominate or control him which I have been trying to do for 38 years!

One reference was also very similar and made me laugh out loud was the philosophy of his physical therapist:

“Show a Type A personally a display of his achievement (or lack thereof) and you can harness his competitive nature to motivate improvement.”

Boy, did that ring true to me. If the tech can show me the computer screen while I am doing the Pulmonary Function Tests, I always do better. I want to do the best ever. Every time. 

What I came away with was a story of a very strong man who was very vain and hated his situation but loved his life, family and friends enough to stay in the world of the living and tried to make sense of it all.

It is inspirational. It is mind-boggling. It is worth your time.

No comments: