Monday, October 10, 2011

Pre-Holiday Drama

I called my sister on Saturday afternoon. We talked. I told her that mom had re-injured her back while doing rehab for her broken pelvis. I told her that I am going to drive her to the pain management doctor for another shot to stop the nerves in the area of her broken back later this month. I told her that mom is downhearted and so sick of being in pain for the past two years.

I told her that we talked about the Thanksgiving plans of celebrating it at our house. I told her that mom was just not up to packing up and leaving her home or her bed for a few days. I told her that mom is not up to the 2-hour drive.

I told her that after cooking Thanksgiving dinner four years ago that I was done. It required too much last minute work and that I was exhausted and became ill afterwards. I told her that when I made a non-traditional Thanksgiving dinner I could manage two years ago, they complained.

I told her that I had been looking for a local restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner but after speaking honestly with mom, I told her to make reservations at a local restaurant. Mom and I are going to split the bill. It won’t cost my sister anything. The reservations are for all of us including my sister and her husband, their daughter and her fiance.

The plan presented to my sister: We will meet at noon at mom’s house; have one cocktail and some chips and salsa then head to the restaurant. There will be full Thanksgiving dinner available but they also lamb and pork and other meats available. A great place. She will love it. We’ll eat at 2:00 and head home by 5:00. Perfect.

It fell like a lead balloon. She heard me but she really didn’t hear me. Sometimes I think she forgets that mom is 83-years old. With a broken back. With a broken pelvis.

Well, my sister was not happy. When I asked how it all sounded, she replied, “I don’t know. I have to ask everyone.” Thud.

What I expected a daughter to say was, “ Whatever we have to do for mom is fine.” That thought never entered her mind.

I replied that if it was not going to work for them to please let me know so I can cancel the additional people on the reservation. I told her that Mom so wanted everyone together.

Bets are on whether they will join us or not.

No comments: