Friday, November 18, 2011

Christmas Music Rehearsals Begin

I love playing music with kids. It is never perfect but it is fun. They are so serious and trying so hard. When I was working at the school, I often played with the String and Wind Ensembles. The students also performed in the community and one of my favorite venues on the Avenue playing outside in the evening the first Friday in December with about a dozen kids. Christmas music. The kids loved playing there every year. I would appoint one kid to do the countdowns and the tempos. I always removed myself from the spotlight and tried to teach the kids what they needed to do, make sure they could do it then let them run with it. My teaching philosophy.

So, this year I have been invited to play with a local group of young kids at the local very small mall near the harbor on December 18th. Their violin teacher invited an adult violist, cellist, me and a few adult violinists to help fill in. I am happy to play with them. Their teacher was worried that I was too "good" and wouldn't want to play with the group. I explained that I ran a huge children's music program and love performing with children. The first rehearsal is today.

It will be a lovely ending to a day of a Hepatitis shot, rehab and a face-to-face intense conversation with our insurance agent. I hate insurance companies and we just received another incorrect bill from our current one. Again. Oh, sorry. Just a mistake. Oops!

Goodbye to Regis. I will miss you in my mornings.

No comments: