Saturday, November 26, 2011

Just Another Miracle

So I was in Trader Joe's yesterday and was frantically searching for shredded cabbage. They were out of it last week and I really missed it. I made some kind of noise, grabbed two bags and clutched them to my chest. A women standing next to me looked very surprised. I explained they had been out. She asked how I prepared it. Raw with dressing. Like a slaw.

Thus began a conversation that continued throughout the store. As her story unfolded, I learned that her husband retired from my university hospital where she had been nurse and that she was dealing with horrible allergies or a lung disease. Some doctors said allergies. Others said lung disease. As she described her symptoms and answered some of my questions, it was a good chance she had an ILD. When she asked what caused my disease, she paled. She then explained that they discovered a huge infestation of mold in their house and recently had it removed.

She also said that she had no stamina. I told her about Pulmonary Rehab and that it would help her so much. In fact, her local pulmonologist is the overseeing doctor for the program.

Another connection was that close to 30 years ago, her daughter went to the school where I got sick. What are the odds?

In our last aisle before we said our goodbyes, she said that God had brought us together. She had been at the end of her rope and had prayed for guidance.

Shredded cabbage. Changed a life.

No comments: