Monday, November 14, 2011

Managing Drugs

I take a lot of drugs. First, there are the drugs. Then, there are the drugs to counteract the side effects of the first drugs. Then, there are the drugs or supplements to counteract the effects of the second drugs.

Here is the latest list:

Azathioprine – 50mg. – 75 mgs 2x per day – bone marrow drug for lungs
 Boniva – 150 mg. 1x per month
 Ipratropium Bromide Nasal Solution – as needed for runny nose
 Levoxyl - .15mg – 1 per day/6 days a week – ½ one day a week – for treatment of Hashimotos 
     disease - Thyroid 
 Lumigan – 2.5 mil – 1 drop each eye 1x per day for Glaucoma
 Oxygen – 2 liters at night – .5 liters during exercise
 Prednisone – 17.5 mgs – 1x per day – for lung disease
 Prochlorperazine – 10 mgs – as needed for nausea due to Azathioprine
 SMZ/TMP – 800/160 – 1x three days a week – for Azathioprine side effects
 Spiriva – inhale 1 capsule 1x per day – for lung restriction
 Spironolactone – 50 mgs – 1x per day – as diuretic
  
OVER THE COUNTER
Calcium – 1500 mgs - 1x per day
Cranberry – 450 mgs - 1x per day
Fish Oil – 1,200 mg  - 1x per day
Multi-Vitamin Centrum Silver - 1x per day
N-Acetylcysteine – 600 mgs 1x per day
Stool Softener – 2x per week
Vision Formula vitamins – 1 tablet 2x per day
Vitamin B-12 – 1,000 mcg 1x per day
Vitamin D – 2,000 IU 1x per day
Vitamin C – 600 mg 2x per day

That is a lot to manage. I am thrilled to be on Medicare and have the Part D Supplement to help to pay for these drugs. For those who don't know, if you are declared disabled and have already paid into the Medicare fund while working, you qualify to receive it after 24 months of being disabled. We would have had to sell our house to afford the medications if I did not have Medicare. The Azathioprine alone costs $400 a month. My out of pocket cost is $16.00 for three months. I order through a mail program that provides 3-months of a drug in one order.

This is the time of year where I usually drop through the donut hole - otherwise known as Phase 3 - and there is little to no reduction of drug costs until one hits Phase 4. That is several thousand dollars. OUCH! Why does this phase always arrive along with the property taxes around the holidays? 

This time of year, I manage the last of my Phase 2 dollars before dropping into the hole. Can I stay within Phase 2 and have enough drugs until the new year? Last year, I had it managed down to the penny, then I got sick around Christmas and had a massively expensive antibiotic. That dropped me into the hole. This year, I still have about $1,000 worth of drugs to play with so I am going to order whatever drugs are available for reorder by the end of the year. We'll see how close I can come to the end of Phase 2. Hopefully, I won't need additional expensive drugs this year!

Michael? He is one healthy guy, thank goodness! He takes Osteo Bi-Flex with 5-Loxin which really works for him. He arm is never sore from repetitive injury anymore. I have also added fish oil and vitamins D and B-12 into his daily pill box. Got to keep him healthy and happy!

No comments: