Saturday, November 19, 2011

Saturday Plans and Rehearsal Review

It rained yesterday afternoon. Hard. No yard work for me today. Nuts!

The plan: To work out at the other rehab this morning. Rare for me on a Saturday.

After rehab, I am going to Michael's - the craft store - to buy some candy boxes for my Pumpkin Gingerbread Cake Balls for Thanksgiving gifts. After lunch, I am going to Michael's - the husband - to pick up our new car from the mechanic's shop. Hopefully. If my timing is off a bit, I may just have to burn some time. Can you say"shopping?"
The rehearsal last night was....interesting. The teacher was a very lovely woman but...interesting. She clearly is a good teacher but I am not too sure how much experience she has had handling groups of children. The secret is to keep things moving quickly. That didn't happen. Bows on strings. Ready to play. She would then comment. Children would talk and not pay attention. Most of them were good except for two of the older violinists - young teens. I think there was a lot of hormones happening. They were disruptive, disrespectful to the music and disrespectful of everyone else in the room. It was REALLY hard for me to keep my mouth shut. This is not my group. I am not in charge. The rehearsal was in her teaching space - her garage - with over a dozen of us sharing the room with storage. I was in the book section. She also had a little heater on and it became HOT in the room and no air circulation. Normally, that would cause me to sweat a lot. I was really warm but was not short of breath. Surprised.

Overall experience? It was great to be with the kids, especially the young cellist next to me. The rehearsals are going to drive me nuts but I look forward to performing with them.

No comments: