Saturday, December 3, 2011

Life Goes On and It Is Good

After my appointment in the Liver Clinic on Thursday, I played hooky from the rehab class and I headed back down the coast to met Natalie, Winnie and Oliver for lunch near their home. It was a real restaurant with real napkins, which overlooked the ocean. I asked Winnie what she was going to order and she said, "Oh, I always get the hot dogs here. They are very good,” in a tone normally used when discussing fine wines or rare cheeses. We ordered and I got such a kick out of Winnie ordering her lunch. She waited until Natalie and I were finished then said to the waitress, "Hello. May I order the hot dog and a child's water, please?" No shyness. Just very polite. 

Before meeting them, I stopped to buy some very good gingerbread cookies with not much sugar and a very small amount of icing. As Oliver began to complain a bit about going into the high chair, I whipped out the cookies and smiles appeared all around. He only needed one as I distracted him by showing him how to shake the raw sugar packets to make noise. He was entranced. That kept him very busy. Clearly these kids have been to lots of restaurants. There was no loud talking, no running around, no problems. I helped feed Oliver some yogurt so Natalie could finish her lunch and we bonded once again. I got many smiles and laughs and giggles from him. Afterwards, we took a walk to the hotel nearby and saw all of their numerous Christmas trees where he exclaimed in front of each one, "Wow!" It was so much fun for me to watch.

Great day.

I arrived home to the second day of very heavy winds. The trees are now void of their foliage. Everything is very dry. I have a long day of work ahead of me. After rehab yesterday, I swept up the big piles of leaves and tree branches. This morning, the plan is to cut the grass then water everything really well. We also have friends coming later this afternoon. Going to be a nice weekend!

No comments: