Friday, December 2, 2011

Liver Report

I had an interesting day yesterday. The traffic was horrific heading into the city for my liver clinic appointment to learn the results of many blood tests and my recent liver sonogram. But I was still early, of course. I also dressed up and arrived about 20 pounds lighter since I last darkened their doorway.

After I lost the first ten pounds at the beginning of the diet last January, I bought a pair of black shoes with very high heals as a reward. They have a herringbone texture on them and little satin bows. I arrived wearing a Faconnable shirt over a black pencil skirt with black tights and these shoes. The tech came into the waiting room to collect me and he said, "Cool shoes!" Every doctor I have seen while wearing these shoes have said the same thing. They are cool. The photo does not do them justice!

The liver report? The lab numbers regarding the liver function are all within the normal range. Thankfully. The bad news? The liver is still the same size, even though I have lost a lot of weight. It still must be monitored because there might be a biopsy in my future. For now, it is wait and watch. Again, it is due to medications not making my liver very happy.

The bad news: My cholesterol levels are high even though I eat and have eaten well. He sent me back to my endocrinologist - Dr. M. - to discuss possible medication and for it to be monitored.

So, I took my cool shoes to the clinic building and up five floors to make an appointment with Dr. M. He just happened to appear and told them to book an appointment for me whenever I wanted. Make room for me. Love that. Dr. M. was one of my parents at the school. He is one proud dad as his daughter just began attending Stanford in September. I have known her since she was a kindergartner. Time does fly.

From there, my shoes took me to the other end of the long hallway to the Lung Clinic where Dr. K. had a letter waiting to excuse me from jury duty. I also made an appointment to see her in March. While there, one of the Rn's stopped me to comment on my cool shoes. I swear, they really are cool.

All in all, not really bad news. Could be worse.

No comments: