Wednesday, December 28, 2011

On the Coastal Trail After Many Years

I got stuck once. Went too far and couldn't get home. I had to phone home to have Michael come and rescue me. From that point on, Dr. K. said that I should only exercise in hospitals, not gyms, hospitals. So, for the past almost seven years, I have exercised in hospitals on an average of five days a week never returning to the trail.

Yesterday, the sun was out and it was 58 degrees which was the perfect temperature for a walk on the Coastal Trail along the ocean. Kimberly and I took off, she in her running shorts and me in my long workout pants and heavy jacket. When we got there, she took off at a sprint down the trail and I walked quickly after her though she disappeared rather quickly.

After about 1.5 miles, there is a long bridge over wetlands. Many years ago, it felt like a very long walk to the bridge and back. I had told Kimberly that I would make it to the bridge then return to where we had split up. She had never been on the trail before. I shared other points of interest that she would see like the pristine beach that can only be accessed on foot, a State park and one point on the trail that run right along the edge of the cliffs.

I made it to the bridge, made a quick stop to check out the beautiful beach then headed back to where we had agreed to meet. It was not difficult. It was not exhausting. I was shocked. Through the years, I guess the muscles I have built up in the rehab programs in the hospitals have really made a difference in how I was able to walk the trail. It was a piece of cake.

So, I waited at the meeting point. And waited. I began to worry. She was about 30 minutes later than she thought she was going to be (no cell phone with her). I had visions of calling my son to tell him that I had lost his girlfriend! Lost. Gone.

After another 10 minutes, she arrived and was so happy to see me. She had run on the bridge, checked out the beach and ran along the cliffs. But, she thought we planned to meet at the bridge and had run back onto the beach to see if I was there then waited. We had a good laugh about losing each other.

We made it home before Michael and William then took ourselves out to a great lunch in town before having a crab feast for dinner. The boys worked on the 1966 Mustang convertible they are building together for most of the afternoon and after dinner. The exterior is now finished. All the parts and panels and doors are on the car. Today, they will be finishing up the interior. It will head to the mechanic for the final check up next week then it will be driveable. Michael is waiting to paint it when William has a couple of weeks free in the coming year. He wants William to do a lot of the actual paint work. How great is it going to be to own a car that you and your dad built together from just a shell?

No comments: