Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Dreaming of Palm Trees

We are planning a trip to the Southern California desert beginning on Saturday. We wanted to find some sun to warm our old bones where the cold weather had settled. We have some of the clothes washed, ironed and laid out in one of the guest rooms and giggled when we added our bathing suits to the pile. Swimming! Sunshine!

We were feeling a bit smug.

Then, it happened. Yesterday, it was so warm that I sat outside in the sunshine with a good book wearing shorts and a t-shirt. RATS!

Secretly, one hopes that the weather is miserable at home when one leaves for a sunnier climate. Not only am I looking at the extended forecast for the desert, but also for our hometown. They are only 10 degrees apart!

Oh, but what a lovely 10 degrees!

This will be the first trip we have taken in almost seven years that I don't have to tote supplemental oxygen with me. I will bring my oximeter to check my levels, just to be safe. Michael will be able to enjoy the hot tubs and spas but I will stay far away from both. There is just too much of a possibility of dirty water molecules finding their way into my lungs. I will walk in the pool water to cool down but not put my face in the water.

We also will do all the tricks we have learned through are travels beginning with using Clorox Wipes to wipe down everything in the suite from TV remote controller to the light switches, wear my support socks while in the car and at night, check the mattress for bedbugs, keep the suitcases off the carpets and pack lots of nuts and bottles of water in the trunk.

We are counting down the days before we leave.

No comments: