Saturday, February 18, 2012

...and China, Too

Shanghai, China
I am sitting here stunned. Our son is head of live sound for a major group who has just announced they are playing two concerts in China - Shanghai and Beijing. These concerts were added onto the end of the current tour through Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, Philippines and Singapore.

When we were just married, my parents went to Hawaii for the first time. My dad said that one day he hoped that we would be able to go there. It was a dream. Over time, air travel became more affordable, we began to earn more money, which we used to travel. A lot. We have loved London and the Caribbean and Canada and almost every state in the US including Hawaii.

But, we never went to the Far East.

China? It was never a possibility. It wasn't until rather recent history that the West was even invited into China. I never felt I knew enough about it to appreciate its culture and history. It is not until recently that I totally regret not exploring Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan and of course, China.

Our neighbor Ron married a woman he met in Shanghai who was a friend of a friend. He was invited to China as he is a dean at a university and his text books are used there. Susan was a high school English teacher. She showed him around, recommended safe local street food for a Westerner's system and they slowly fell in love. They have been married for over three years. We have learned so much about her life in China and I find it all fascinating.

I am thrilled that our son is having these experiences. My father would never have dreamed that his grandson would be in so many countries throughout the world and now, even China.

No comments: