Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Study of Microaspirations in ILD Patients

I have been asked to participate in a study for Microaspirations in ILD patients. After reading about the process, I don't think I am a good candidate.

Here is the study:
"This study aims to diagnose microaspiration in patients with pulmonary fibrosis and identify conditions that are associated with microaspirations. This study also aims to determine if microaspiration affects the course of the disease."

What is involved:
  • "gather demographics, vital signs and other date from your clinical tests and medical history
  • measure shortness of breath, reflux, and quality of life using questionnaires
  • bronchoscopy to look for evidence of microaspiration
  • esophageal studies to measure reflux 
  • blood tests
  • determine the frequency of urgent medical care use"
I don't think I will be accepted into the study because I had a Nissen Fundoplication which has permanently stopped any possible microaspirations from going into my lungs. Also, I have had three bronchoscopies and all three have not gone well. I bled out during the last one. As Dr. K. said, I do not tolerate them well and will never have another one.

It's too bad. I believe in research as the only way to discover why we get an ILD and to discover a possible treatment other than lung transplants.

UPDATE: I e-mailed the coordinator for the study who sent this to me this morning: "Nissen fundoplication is an exclusion criterion, so you're right, you wouldn't be able to participate. Also since you know that you haven't tolerated bronchoscopies as well in the past, we wouldn't want to object you to extra troubles or risks." So, I will not be participating in this study. 

No comments: