Thursday, February 23, 2012

Vintage Ruby Glass

My niece's bridal shower is Saturday, March 3rd, just two days after mom's move into the independent living facility. I will be driving us just over the 100 miles to my sister's house for the event. 

I adore my niece, Shelley. She is one smart cookie who is a writer for a living. Pretty great. She wishes she was around in the 1940's as she loves the fashions and the music and sensibilities of that era. Her house has many 1950's vintage pieces as well. 

Several Christmas' ago, I gave her some of my Aunt Rita's handmade in Hong Kong late 1950's vintage clothing and several furs. She looked fantastic in a gorgeous mid-calf white wool swing coat with a fox collar. I personally, could never wear fur. I get itchy thinking about the poor little animal who long ago gave its life for fashion. 

So, what can I possibly give to this woman for her bridal shower? Oh, I'll check some things on her register and buy some nice stuff, but she deserves more. What can I give her that will make her heart sing? I thought. Nothing came to me.

 My sister and I were given some very vintage ruby glass pieces that my Grandma Leona had for many years. One set was of small goblets without stems and the other was champagne glasses. My sister was giving first choice and took the goblets. I love the champagne glasses. We have used them on occasion and they have been in my cabinet for years. The color is glorious.



Speaking with my sister this week, she mentioned that Shelley has always loved the goblets so she is going to surprise her with them at the shower. Ta-Da! Perfect! I am going to wrap up all seven of the champagne glasses and give them to Shelley so the two sets will be together again, as they should be.

No comments: