Thursday, March 29, 2012

Heavy Air and Oxygen Saturation

The air is heavy. We are between storms yet it is so humid. We even slept with the bedroom door opened last night and had the fan on for the first time in months. Just hard to breathe.

But, that was no excuse for my need for supplemental oxygen for the first time in months when I returned to the pulmonary rehab class on Tuesday. It had been over three weeks since I had worked out in the class. Three long weeks. Clearly, I am not totally recovered from the acute bronchitis as I could not work out on the treadmill at my normal speed as the saturation levels would not get above 85%. On two liters of oxygen, I was back up to my normal 94%. RATS!

I still have the overnight spirometry and the sleep study through my university hospital scheduled for next week. Both must be cancelled. What's the point of determining if I need oxygen at night if I still need it during exertion?

Even more frustrating is that I seem to have a small sporadic cough on occasion which means that there is still an infection in my lungs. I am going to need more antibiotics. I am going to need to still be careful about expending energy. I need to get well.

The next appointment to see Dr. K. is next Wednesday. I suspect she will want an x-ray.

No comments: