Monday, March 12, 2012

Scary PFTs

So here's the drill. While in Dr. K.'s office last Wednesday, I did two quick PFTs which reported my spirometry down 10% and my DLCO was down from 14 to 11. Clearly, bad things were happening in my lung.

That totally scared me.

She prescribed 20 days of 250 mgs of Ceftin twice a day with food. That is a lot of days. I think I totally scared her, too.

What scared me more was her next statement that if I was not better soon, I was to call her. I envisioned a hospitalization filled with IVs of antibiotics. The goal is to clear my lungs so they don't continue onto pneumonia or further plummet to a possible need for transplants. Yikes.

It was enough for me to fold my tent and stay housebound through the last four days. Today, I am headed back into the world but am going to tread carefully. Mom is meeting with her back doctor and I want to make sure she gets the proper referrals for other doctors in the area. Afterwards, we have to do a quick stop at Best Buy and lunch. That's it. Then it's back to the couch.

I have cancelled tomorrows ILD Support Group and lunch beforehand with Susan because I still am dripping and coughing. It would be awful to pass this around. Also, I wasn't too sure it would be good for me to extend myself so much too soon.

I feel like a kid with one toe dipped into the water to test the temperature.

No comments: