Thursday, April 5, 2012

Let the Prednisone Begin!

Bad news. Went to see my lung doctor, Dr. K. yesterday after having a chest x-ray. There was no infection in my lungs. You might say, "Great!" But, it really is not so great. That means there is another problem. I had hoped that there was a residual infection from the bronchitis and another run of antibiotics would get my numbers back to where they were. At my last visit a month ago, my vital lung capacity dropped by 10% and I had returned to supplemental oxygen during rehab and sleeping. During the test yesterday, it was even slightly worse!

So, the plan: today I begin 30mgs of prednisone (up from 17.5mgs) for two weeks then 25mgs for the next two weeks then 20mgs for the next two weeks. After six weeks, I will have an early morning full set of pulmonary function tests followed by a high resolution CT scan then an appointment with Dr. K.

Hopefully, this will allow whatever is bothering my lungs to help heal them. Calm them down. Stop the slide.

On the personal side of things, I am terrified of gaining any weight with the increase in prednisone and also having a lovely moonface for my niece's wedding in the middle of May. Horrible timing.

I drove home a little downhearted. I know I am facing a long road back to where I was with lots of rehab and focus. I have done it many times before, I will just have to do it again.

No comments: