Monday, April 2, 2012

Returning to Life...Slowly

We were stuck in a rut. Struggling with this long virus, we would work or workout, eat dinner and just rest. Bedtime was ridiculously early, even for me.

We are trying to climb back into life. On his way home from over the hill yesterday, Sunday traffic was in full bloom and he couldn't get home the normal route. Because of the huge high surf and storms coming in, it seemed everyone was here on the coast to see the ocean. It was madness.

Michael drove around the long way from the north then phoned around 1:30 to asked if I wanted to meet him for a late lunch about three miles north of us. It was cold and very windy out, I grabbed my leather jacket and ran out the door. It took over five minutes to be able to turn right from our street. Traffic was horrible. I passed our chosen restaurant while on the phone and waving to Michael stuck in the parking lot. It was totally packed. We agreed to meet at another restaurant just south of it. It also was right on the ocean but there was seating in the bar.

We are not bar people. Never have been. We married three years before I could drink! By the time I was old enough, we had bought a house and couldn't afford to hang out in bars. So there we sat. Thrilled to be back out into the world. Happy to have fresh fish, Michael had a beer and a Ramos Fizz and we sat for a couple of hours just chatting.

At one point, he put his arm around me and said, "I bought you something special." I was surprised. What? "A new garbage disposal!" Well, I know we have been married a long time because I was so touch and happy that he bought one. We have needed a new one for a while. How sweet. Give a girl a new disposal and she is happy. He even installed it after we got home. Love that man.

After a bit of time watching the ocean and chatting while the "contemporary" (his word) piano player tickled the ivories right behind us, another couple joined us. We had a nice chat with them. They lived in the city but were originialy from northern Louisiana and southern Indiana. It was fun. We felt like adults again. We are on the mend. Finally.

No comments: