Saturday, May 12, 2012

Looking Back - Activities of Daily Living

I climbed into bed last night after enjoying such a nice day. My mind wandered back to just a few years ago when a nice day included a nap and maybe being able to cook dinner that night.

It wasn't so long ago when I couldn't go grocery shopping alone. Then, with the help of two days a week of rehab, I was able to walk the aisles without oxygen and choose what we needed. Yes, I had to have help to put everything into the trunk and yes, most of it had to stay there until Michael got home. But, it was just a bit more of freedom and feeling normal. The day finally came when I was able to actually put the groceries in the trunk AND carry them into the house.

I remember being able to do two activities of daily living per day. Shower and rehab. Make dinner and food shop. Rehab and dinner. Choices were made. Naps happened everyday. As I added additional days of rehab, my stamina improved, I could add a third thing every few days a week. Then, three activities per day with a fourth added became the new normal. Finally, I quit counting the number of things I could do a day.

Now, I focus on rehab or gardening six days a week as a base for an upcoming week. Into that schedule, I fold in time with friends, my mom and doctors. Some weeks are more of a challenge than others. After a busy schedule, I really try to have a few days to just relax. Recover.

But, sometimes life happens and everything comes crashing together. That is the case with the next eleven days. The goal will be to do a little everyday in preparation and just take one day at a time. I really don't want to get sick and lose more lung capacity!

An aside: Being married to a car guy, it was with sadness that we learned yesterday that Carroll Shelby died at the age of 89. He had been the longest living heart recipient and also had a kidney transplant. He saw a void in the auto industry. He married a foreign car with an American V-8 motor. It would be sports/race car. The AC Cobra was born around 1961/62. He had been a driver for Ferrari. He learned a lot. Drivers weren't treated well in those days and he ended up hating Enzo Ferrari. He hooked up with Ford and was thrilled to finally beat Ferrari in F1 racing (it was called Grand Prix racing in those days). He later worked for Ford and Chrysler for many years. What a guy. Just a big Texan having fun.

No comments: