Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Marriage Filled with Sunshine

The wonderful Junior Brown
On Sunday, after we had dinner, we were sitting in the living room with our bellies full, the last of the sun streaming in on us, the wonderful music of Junior Brown playing on the stereo and the two of us side by side on the couch. The cozy couch.

I turned to him and said, "We have a good life." We do. We really do.

Several months ago, Michael turned to me and said, "We have what so many people hope for, wish for but most of the time can't find. We have a good relationship." What brought that on? Yet another friend of his was in the final phase of a divorce. It was a really ugly divorce and I think he was just thrilled not to have had to go through that hell.

Also, he was saying a while ago that none of his friends have a relationship similar to ours. Ricky and Fran, though almost a decade older than us, are the only ones who have a similar relationship. Rather sad. So many divorces surrounding us lately.

Next year, we will be celebrating 40-years of marriage. We are still best friends. We still laugh a lot.

I had a brilliant dad. He once explained to me that one day the three of us will grow up and move away. He said that it is so important to make sure that he and mom still knew and liked each other after we were gone.

He told the following to me when I was around 13-years old: In a marriage, the two of you together are like the sun. Your children, family, work, friends are like the planets circling the sun. If the sun is together and functioning properly, the planets circle perfectly and perform their function. If the sun is in conflict, the planets wobble and can’t stay on their course. Nothing is working well.


In other words, if you make sure the relationship between you is good, everything else falls into place.

From the very beginning of our marriage, I remembered this. Through all the ups and downs of life, we are still here. Together. Best friends.

We have a good life. No illness can change that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I LOVE your blog! THANK YOU! I happened across it over the weekend while researching my own recent diagnosis of ILD. I am 38. My journey began this past Halloween with a rash. Within a week, I was in the hospital with bilateral pneumonia. I was released after 2 nights - too soon - and told to "check in" with my primary. I went home on 2 liters of oxygen and immediately made an appointment. I got sicker and sicker. I saw my primary on 3 separate occassions. My pulse ox was never checked nor was I given a chest X-ray. By late November, I was dying. I developed Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) and spent the next month in a medically induced coma. I woke up with a tracheotomy. Within 10 days of waking, I was off the vent and my trach hole began healing. I was told I would make a full recovery. I didn't. After 2 more hospitilizations I had an open lung biopsy and was given the devastating news in March - the pneumonia and ARDS created scar tissue and permanent damage. I am on oxygen 24/7. Today I began pulmonary rehab and thanks to your blog I went with an awesome attitude (my rehab guru even said it was so refreshing to be working with a positive person) and for the first time in a month, I feel hope. You, dear writer, are a ROCK STAR in my book! I cannot express my gratitude enough. - A friend in Utah

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I can be reached at anotherlisa@me.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry. It didn't go through. Will try again. Is there another e-mail or please double check to be sure the one above is correct?

Anonymous said...

GOT IT! Sent!