Tuesday, May 15, 2012

No Supplemental Oxygen


I forgot to bring my oxygen with me to the other rehab yesterday. Starting slowly on the treadmill, I kept checking my saturation levels while clocking time at 2.8 mph then 3.0 then 3.2 then finally my normal 3.4 and was able to keep my levels over 90% without supplemental oxygen.

For the first time, this may be an indication that the continuing large dosage of prednisone has help to get back some of my lung capacity. I was thrilled. Moving to the bike, I was able to keep my levels above 93%. Such a surprise.

In the rehab class today, I will see if I can maintain these levels while the RN checks my saturation levels on their meters. Wouldn’t it be lovely? Wednesday, I have appointments for full PFTs, HRCT Scan and a meeting with my favorite Dr. K. to review all the results.

But for now, I am marching towards an exhausting time period, I really want to share the number of things I do in a day to illustrate how I try to adjust my schedule to protect my health.

Every morning, all the dishes are in the dishwasher, counters are cleaned, pillows on the family room couch are fluffed, the bed is made, the bathroom counters are cleaned and the house is left in good shape for the day. I hate coming home from rehab to a mess. So, in a morning, I am doing so many more activities of daily living than what I was able to do in a whole day years ago. All thanks to rehab and medications.

Yesterday, I met mom and we headed out on a field trip. I had spotted an Anthropologies store and we decided to check it out. Loved some dresses. A huge sale is happening today so maybe….gosh, I just don’t have time.

We walked down the street to a high quality candy store where I bought my mom a Chocolate Haystack and Michael a chocolate dipped apricot and some peppermint bark. After I paid for everything, we heard something. Suddenly, we all looked down the counter then up at the ceiling where water was pouring through the light fixture. The woman behind the counter ran up to the spa above but no one was there yet. We moved everything off the counter and place a big bucket to catch the stream of water. She was contacting the building owner’s on site office so they could get into the spa when we left. We washed our hands afterwards! What a mess!

Mom and I both worked out at rehab then had lunch – I had a protein children’s burger – at 5 Guys and Fries. We chatted; I dropped her off at home then headed towards home with stops for gas, a salad for dinner and even retrieved clothes from the cleaners.

At home, I watered the front garden and ironed Michael’s new shirt and slacks, worked on my speech for the ATS next week, fought off a nap then made dinner of bacon-wrapped scallops and a salad.

By 7:30, I was fighting to stay awake.

Today, the focus is the rehab class followed by having my eyebrows waxed. Not too long of a to-do list. Tomorrow is going to be a dozy!

Foodie update: I wanted to find something special for appetizers when Kimberly and William fly in on Friday. The wonderful organic market in town makes their own lamb and feta sausage. I bought two, which I will cook up and served with a tzatziki sauce. Perfect!

No comments: