Friday, June 15, 2012

No Fly Zone

Flying. Can't do it. Banned. Dr. K. made it very clear to me back in 2005 that I cannot travel via planes. Ever. I thought it had something to do with oxygen issues but later learned that it was a much bigger issue.

Paris. Michael and I have travelled so much together through the years but somehow missed Paris. It was going to be our next trip before I became ill. When I met Dr. K. I told her about our goal to visit Paris. Our final trip. She smiled and said, "We'll get you there someday but not now."

What I later learned was that the issue was everyone else on the plane and being immune suppressed. She said that she could get me to Paris but if I contracted something during the flight and my lungs crashed, she couldn't get me home. Being stuck in Paris needing lung transplants is not a happy thought. We put Paris on the very back burner.

But, I would begin to dream about Paris again while sitting in the ILD Support Group meeting and hearing everyone around me telling about their upcoming trips - Ireland! Rome! Hawaii! I was so jealous.

I met Marty in the support group on my first visit. We both were the first people we met who had our disease, Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis. We bonded. We shared PFT numbers. We shared our stories. Last time I saw him, he was headed to Hawaii for a much needed vacation.

I got an e-mail from him today. On the trip to Hawaii, he contracted a virus. A bad virus. After his return, he needed to be on supplemental oxygen 24/7 for the first time. They took an x-ray. No PFTs. No CT Scan. Does he have a blood clot? He is now off of all prednisone and cellcept. But, his saturation numbers are still horrible. Is this his new normal?

He was heartened to hear about my fight with the virus in March and my recent dramatic recovery from it and wanted the full details. I also encouraged him to ask for full PTFs and CT scan. Clearly, something is going on.

Communications. Sharing of information. So powerful.

No comments: