Sunday, July 29, 2012

Green Cathedral

The last Formula 1 race before the August break is this morning.  My favorite rookie driver Romain Grosjean began the Hungarian race on the first row and seems to be holding his own while I watch and write! We both love Sunday mornings and a race is certainly a bonus.

When I first was declared disabled, Dr. K. told me to stay away from crowds of people because of being immune suppressed. I could catch anything. One thing she did warn against, along with the movie theatres, concerts and plays, was church. She said people go to church unless they are really ill. People are there with colds and the flu and who knows what else. Michael and I met playing music together in a church. We returned when William was in high school and all three of us played in support of the choir. I so loved playing music together as a family.

Going to church was part of our lives.

With my illness, we replaced church with nature. Often, we would take early Sunday morning drives into the mountains or along the coast. It allowed for contemplation. It reminded me of the old song by Carl Hahn, "Green Cathedral."

I know a green cathedral,
A shadowed, forest shrine;
Where leaves in love join hands above
And arch their prayers and mine.

Within its cool depths sacred
The priestly cedar sighs
And the fir and pine lift arms divine
Unto the pure blue sky.

In my dear green cathedral
There is a flowered seat,
The choir loft in branched croft
Where songs of birds hymns sweet.

And I like to dream at evening
When the stars its arches light
That my Lord and God treads its hallowed sod
In the cool calm peace of night;
That my Lord and God treads its hallowed sod
In the cool calm peace of night.

No comments: