Friday, July 27, 2012

Lots of Drama

It was a frustrating morning. After driving in rather heavy traffic to my university hospital in the city yesterday, I expected the normal 10-15 minute wait for my fasting blood tests for liver function and cholesterol.

I arrived at 9:00 and the line was long. Then, I noticed that the line was moving VERY slowly. In fact, only twelve people were called in an hour and there were approximately 60 people waiting. People were beginning to complain and asking to see the supervisor. “So sorry! We are short staffed today!” she announced. It turns out there were only three phlebotomists drawing blood. Three! This is a major medical center. People were missing doctor appointments waiting for the tests, which were the reason for the appointments! One poor man was on supplemental oxygen and was worried about running out of it while waiting, as he had not anticipated this unusually long delay.

While waiting, I ran into Kerri from the Lung Transplant Clinic and we had a marvelous chat. She had lost 90 pounds with my same nutritionist around the same time I lost my 60 pounds last year. She said she had gained 25 pounds back and I told her I am 5 pounds heavy and working on getting it off. I am so fearful of having to face that horrible liquid and protein bar diet again! It was lovely to see her. One good woman.

Finally, after approximately 90-minutes, my number was called. My blood tests took seconds, I grabbed a cup of coffee and ate my string cheese in the car before taking my long past due morning medications.

It was now 10:30 and I was starving. I gobbled an In-and-Out single hamburger wrapped in lettuce, no bun. Perfect. From there, I went to the rehab class only to arrive to a lot of drama. I am trying to stay out of it but it unfolded Tuesday before my eyes.

As I have written in past blogs, the new RN for Pulmonary Rehab is unskilled in managing a group of people. She also makes very inappropriate comments, apologizes then wants a hug. By that time, one does not want to be hugged. One is ANGRY. She speaks to us as if we were children or stupid, I haven’t decided which yet. Everything is said in a punitive tone where as the retired RN used an educational tone. This new RN and I have had our run-ins and Michael has told me to keep my head down and not to give her any information. It has worked and I haven’t had problems with her recently.

And sometimes, she just says inappropriate things. One example was to a nice older man with a lovely Irish lilt who was there for new patient input for Cardiac Rehab. She asked loudly if he was a priest! “Why, no,” he replied. Her response, “You sound like a priest.” He looked stunned.

Well, on Tuesday, as we were cooling down and ready to have our vitals checked before being dismissed, Angie complained about the small parking lot that day. It had been unusually chaotic. Her response? “You are not sick enough to park in that parking lot. You can walk. That is for people who are really sick.”

I was sitting next to Angie when this was said and I watched as her eyes grew dark and the fireworks began.

“I have a serious lung disease. I need transplants. I have a disability placard and have every right to use that parking lot,” she said.

The RN’s response, “But you can walk. Those spaces are for people who can’t walk.”

“No, that parking is for disabled people. I am disabled.” Angie also went into the lecture we learned in this program about how we should not feel badly about using the disability spots as it is all about energy conservation. After a day, all these nuggets of saved energy may allow another activity of daily living. Now, the RN was saying just the opposite from what was taught in her own program.

The RN then suggested that Angie really wasn’t that sick and wanted her to prove how ill she was by doing a 6-minute walk test. Angie’s response was that she was not her doctor and how dare she suggest any test without her doctor’s permission.

As Angie refused to back down, the RN began to back pedal. Angie pounced. At that moment, I excused myself, walked into the empty lobby and said out loud, “Oh, that’s going to get ugly!”

So, today while I was telling Sherman all about the confrontation, in walks Angie, still angry. She told us that she had not slept since Tuesday as she was walking down the hall to speak with the head of all Physical Therapy and all the Rehab Classes. The big boss.

Angie filed a formal complaint.

Afterwards, she, Sherman and I thought it would be wise to give the lovely exercise physiologist a heads up. She is totally professional but we can see that she also struggles with the inappropriate comments the RN makes, though she has to work with her. Sherman was able to motion to her to come out to the lobby to see us. She came and, just as we were telling her what was happening, the RN came out, too! So, she now just left an entire room of pulmonary rehab people alone while working out on machines. She clearly saw something was up. I am sure I am going to get blamed though I am trying to stay out of it.

During the entire class today, it was very uncomfortable. The RN did not look or talk to Angie.

Drama. We’ll see where this goes. Maybe she will be placed in another position. Something that she is better trained to manage.

No comments: