Sunday, July 15, 2012

Recipes for the Week for Prednisone Patients

Okay, I'm sore. After working over five hours in the garden yesterday, my legs and back feel it! But, oh how lovely everything looks. I spent a lot of time working in the hidden garden off our bedroom as it needed a lot of hand trimming. There is a small bush that I had not trimmed in a long time and while working with the electric hedge trimmer, I suddenly jumped! There suddenly was our garden snake who had climbing up through the bush to the top and was looking at me! I quietly backed away as he made his way to the lilies next to the bush and from there I think he fled into the far garden bed. Smart! There was no sunshine but I still sweaty all day long. The shower afterwards felt marvelous.

Michael and I sat in the garden after dinner and some movement caught our attention. He thought it was a bird, I thought it moved awfully quickly for a bird. We watched and to our horror, a small mole appeared then darted back to the far garden. Nuts! We have a mole. We have the gopher stakes throughout the gardens that make a noise to drive the gophers to the neighbors but I don't know if they also work on moles!

This morning, I am going over the pass with Michael to work out at the other rehab while he is doing a few things. We are totally out of food so we will swing by the butcher's and Trader Joe's on our way home.

What is our Food for the Week for those of us on prednisone who can't process carbs or sugar? I am going to buy a ham steak from the butcher and use some of it along with leeks in our breakfast quiche. The rest will be cooked with eggs for dinner one or possibly two nights. We are also having a lamb stew made with boneless leg of lamb in 1" cubes with lots of vegetables including eggplant, which cooks down to become the sauce. It is my sneaky way to get vegetables into Michael as he is not a lover of eggplant! Finally, we are having General Tso's Chicken with a side of broccoli. Links to the recipes are below. The recipes make four servings so we have each dinner two nights in a row but the lamb recipe actually serves eight. I usually freeze half of it for another time. Eating leftovers makes my life easier and I am so grateful that Michael really doesn't care. I know a lot of people who refuse to eat leftovers.

If you are on prednisone, remember to eat fresh not processed food, low carb, low fat, lots of non-starchy vegetables and 3-4 ounces of lean protein at each meal. You will feel the difference.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/general_chicken.html
http://kitchenpreserve.com/spiced-lamb-stew-with-eggplant-tomatoes-and-peppers/

No comments: