Sunday, August 26, 2012

Rehab Tryout

After Dr. K. banned me from rehab due to bronchitis almost two weeks ago, I did my first workout routine at the other rehab yesterday. Initially, it did not look encouraging. During the first treadmill on two liters of oxygen, the saturation rate dipped to 88% until I did some pursed-lip breathing, then I was able to get it up to 92%.

On the arm bike, the rate hit 97%. I felt heartened. Onto the recumbent bike, it stayed in the mid-90%. Back on the treadmill, it averaged 94%. Sadly, these were often my numbers when I was off of all supplemental oxygen. Clearly, I am still fighting something cooking in my lungs.

With these numbers, I think I see a small improvement with my lungs and it felt really good to get my body moving again.

Tuesday will be the first day that the prednisone will be stepped down to 35mgs. for the next two weeks. I have been really careful with my food intake as I just don't want to gain any weight. The Atkin's Power Bars have helped.

A week from this morning, we begin our 14+ hour one day road trip to be with our son for Michael's 60th birthday. We are both itching to get on the road.

No comments: