Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lost and Found

It has become a joke between us. Going to one of the satellite campuses of mom's university hospital has been a challenge. I got lost three times yesterday! It should be simple. Freeway south. Exit. Turn into driveway. We had one hour before the appointment. It is was just 10 minutes away...

First, I took the wrong exit. Returned back to the freeway heading south.
Second, we decided to get lunch at an In-and-Out Burger. I thought it was the next exit south. Wrong exit. Returned to freeway heading north.
Third, decided to take hospital exit and get lunch at the small airport at the end of the road. Turned wrong direction after exiting. Found the right road, had a marvelous lunch and made the appointments on time.

We should NOT be allowed out in the world without handlers!

All this happened after we hit Orchard Supply and Best Buy. I bought our new microwave. Mom had done advance scouting on the weekend and found the perfect one. During a moment of brilliance, I questioned why we were thinking of buying a stainless one when it will be sitting on the counter surrounded by black granite. So, mom found a 1200 watt black one that disappears into the granite. It was $134.00 on Sunday when she found it. It was $109.00 yesterday. It was meant to be!

We did go for our walk after dinner last night. We drove to Wayne and Jill's near the beach, parked the car then walked north to Surfer's Beach. Three miles. It was a great walk along the cliff's with hardly a breeze with beautiful vistas of the harbor and the coastal hills. We were walking so fast that I needed to kick up my oxygen to 6 liters! The bad news: just before the walk while getting into the car, I twisted my right ankle. Duh! It was tender afterwards, I iced it down last night but it is really tender this morning. And my one bunion hurts. NUTS! So, I will ice it today and we will try to walk again tonight. It felt so great to be out and moving. It felt great to hold hands and chat while we walked.

Betty and I had been texting during the day. She was feeling too weak for a phone call and sounded down. Her brother-in-law suddenly died of a heart attack at the age of 66 a few days ago and Betty had been responsible as her other sister's driver and support through her current chemo treatments. She feels she has let everyone down. She can't get to the funeral in Montana to give her support to her one sister who had planned to drive to New Mexico to help with the other sister's treatments while Betty recovered. She feels badly that Chip has been taking care of everything including her. I told her to try and not feel that way but...I also told her I was so impressed with burst appendix, not just the normal appendix surgery. She replied that she does everything big! We wrote back and forth and I think I left her feeling better. I told her to phone me in a few days when she feels up to it. The baklava will arrive on Thursday so that should lift their spirits!

No comments: