Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Walmart and a Surprise

We had a weird day yesterday. It was hot but thankfully, the ocean breeze is supposed to kick in later this afternoon to cool us down. Mom wanted to go to Walmart. She misses Walmart. Because of property values on the Peninsula, there is just one Walmart many miles south of her. Michael and I have been there once. It was awful. The parking lot was awful, the store was dirty, there was a man fighting with the manager right at the front door and within minutes we walked out with a promise never to return.

Mom had looked in the phone book and found a Walmart many miles north. A surprise. We noted the address and drove there. It was in a parking lot that we realized that it was the business headquarters for Walmart.com. No store. So we begin our trek to the one well south. Lots of miles. We found it, the parking lot was still awful, the store was still filthy but no fights!

She loved it. We walked through the entire store, chose a few items and headed to the checkout lines. The lines were endless. 10+ people per line. We were in the quick check line where it took one woman over 15 minutes to check out. It was ugly. We almost walked out. We talked with the people around us. It was my last time at the store. I swear.

We got out of there and tried to find somewhere to eat lunch. TA-DA! I remembered that there is an amazing Whole Foods just blocks away! We found it! We parked underneath the market out of the hot sun! We toured the store and chose Chicken Teriyaki Bowls (mine without rice), took our food outside and talked non-stop. It was really a great lunch. We took the elevator back down to the garage where we found my tail light lens in pieces lying on top of my trunk. Oh my. Something had happened. No marks on the fender, no marks anywhere else! How did someone hit it? Impossible! We went back upstairs to see if there are cameras and were greeted with, "Oh, you drive the Audi!" The older woman who hit it asked them to page us, we were outside and didn't hear it. She left a note, which I had missed. No cameras, by the way.

So, the note just had a phone number written on it. I thought that it probably wouldn't be real but, my faith in humanity was restored when Michael spoke with her husband last evening. He told him that he was in the business and, because of his honesty, he would charge him his cost for the lens and not charge for installing it. The man was touched! I guess she hit the right person!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I share your dislike for Walmart. It's always too crowded and with chronic fatigue, I just find it more frustrating to spend my precious energy there. However, if I can get there before 8am or after 11 pm, it's great. CLEAN and very few people shopping.

So happy the number was real. Kind of restores faith in the human race when people are honest.

Have a great day!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Madray! Always great to hear from you!