Friday, November 2, 2012

Suddenly Great News

A quick recap: I have been struggling with acute bronchitis for over five months this year and really can't shake it. My lung doctor believed there was nothing more we could do after two runs of antibiotics and a huge increase of prednisone couldn't get rid of it. She scheduled to see me in six weeks. I am determine to arrive at that appointment showing an improvement in my spirometry and DLCO. How? Exercise. I had not worked out in over two months and I know in my heart that I have been able to postpone lung transplants with daily, consistent pulmonary rehab. I returned to rehab two weeks ago and I see the doctor in four weeks.

During the rehab class on Tuesday, my saturation level on the treadmill, where I desaturated the most, was holding firm at 96% on 2 liters of supplemental oxygen. I mentioned that I would like to try 1 liter of oxygen during Thursday's class.

Yesterday, I worked out hard on every piece of equipment and my saturation level on the treadmill was 93% on one liter of oxygen. Remarkable. Something is working and I believe it is the exercise.

Please, please, if you are struggling with a lung disease, any lung disease, please asked your doctor about pulmonary rehab and find a program at a hospital near you. It will extend your life. It will improve the quality of your life. It may even postpone lung transplants. And, you will develop remarkable muscles in the process!

No comments: