Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Instant Human Connection in the Express Lane

It was suddenly a woman-to-woman connection in line at Safeway. Express line. I needed mint jelly for the rack of lamb last night along with a few other items. The clerk asked how my day was going. I replied that I had spent it with my mom and that we had a ball together. The woman behind me chimed in, "You are so lucky."

We looked about the same age. Her mom apparently is a miserable human being. I tried to offer a gentle comment that maybe she was getting Alzheimer's because sometimes it causes people to be so negative and nasty, different from their regular personalities. She wasn't having any of that, "I do think she is at the beginnings of dementia or Alzheimer's, but she has always been nasty."

We walked out together, pushing our carts to our cars. In just a few short minutes, I learned so much about this woman and her recent and past struggles with her mother. As we paused before continuing on with our lives, I said, "I wish I could give you all the wonderful experiences in my life because of having a great mom." She smiled and replied, "Thank you."

It may just be our age. It is the time of our lives where are children are grown and now we have to worry about the health and welfare of our parents. My mom has taught me so many lessons by example as she has transitioned into this final phase of life, making new friends, dealing with new doctors and actually new everything. People always comment that I am so strong dealing with a fatal disease. HA! I am nothing compared to her.

I find it so interesting that women are willing to share so much with another woman. Deep, life issues. Struggles. Joys. And, the woman in Safeway was right. I am so lucky to have my wonderful mom in my life.

No comments: