Friday, December 28, 2012

Prednisone, Rehab, Life

During the preparations for Christmas, I noticed I was coughing a lot. That dry, hacking cough of an Interstitial Lung Disease. I felt like my O2 levels were low and began to use my meter to check myself. The levels, without supplemental oxygen, were 93/94 compared to my previous levels of 97/98. My energy level was also low. I made the decision to add back the .5mgs of prednisone to see if it helped my breathing. Within two days, my levels were back to 97/98 and I was feeling so much better. I guess my lungs really need the support of 15mgs. of prednisone.

This is also the time of year that I re-order medications that are ready for reorder but I may not need just yet. I always try to order everything at the end of a current year up to the maximum dollar amount to stay out of the Medicare donut hole, when medications are not covered. If I can do this, it reduces that same amount of money towards the maximum before dropping into next year's donut hole.

Yesterday was my first day back to pulmonary rehab in over a week. I expected to have a tough time but it was really fine. A bit of sweat but it felt fantastic to get back into my routine.

We had simple food yesterday with leftover Christmas beef fillet and vegetables last night. I am meeting a former student from the school where I got sick for breakfast this morning. It is always a joy to sit across the table from him, listen to his challenges at college and talk together about life and world issues. He will graduate this spring.

The house is still a mess, we plan to remove all the Christmas decorations on New Year's Day but the clean up will begin this weekend. I'll start in the back of the house and move forward. Back to normal life!

No comments: