Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Smells Like Christmas

I am making the Pumpkin Spiced Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting this morning and a breakfast quiche. Kimberly and William arrive tomorrow evening. The house should smell like Christmas within the hour!

Today is the final rehab class before Christmas and I am going to distribute goodies and gift cards to the staff and rehab boys. Afterwards, the floors need attention and I will do a quick vacuuming of the throw rugs. The house will be ready. All I will have to do tomorrow is focus on what the cardiologists will be telling us about mom's heart condition. We have a Wednesday morning appointment. We are both a bit nervous but really want to understand the information and treatment options.

I love having our son home. The house feels like it is back to normal. The old days.

Doing a Trader Joe's run on Sunday, an older woman stood right next to me at the checkout stand and was looking at all the fruit leather near me. She began to cough. It was a deep, productive, horrible sounding cough and she did not cover her mouth. I quickly moved to the end of the counter and she wandered off. The checker looked at me oddly as I stood at the end of counter. I smiled and said, "I have no immune system as I am on chemo drugs." He said, "And she didn't even cover her mouth!" I remarked that he probably gets a lot of that as people go through his line. That brought on a whole other conversation. I am amazing how people are so willing to share their illnesses with everyone. It could kill some of us!

No comments: