Monday, January 14, 2013

Dodging All Things Cold and Embracing Yoga Gently

Mom thinks she has a cold so she is driving to the foot doctor alone this morning. She doesn't want me to catch it. So far, I have dodged the cold bullet from Michael. Instead of being with mom, I am going to a yoga class. Yesterday, when telling Susan about my yoga experience last week, she was horrified! She expected me to enjoy lots of meditation and contemplation instead of the massive, exhausting workout. Today's class is supposed to be more, to use a yoga term, restorative. We'll see. I will report back.

It is so cold here, we had ice on the cars in the morning and there is black ice on the pass. The days reach the 50s but the evenings are brutal. We are very tender folks here in California!

Michael spoke with his mother and his father yesterday, which was the first time that had ever happened in his entire life. Recap: Grant left when they were babies never to return. We found him via the internet in 1997 and have met him three times.

Both are in deep grief. I spoke briefly with Grant on Saturday and he told me he knew something was wrong when he spoke with Matt. The past couple of years they had been forging a relationship. I told him we and the rest of the family had no idea he was consuming huge quantities of alcohol. Such a shock.

Michael is feeling a bit better and recovering from his cold just in time to drive the nine hours to Las Vegas on Friday and work moving his mother. It is going to be emotional in many ways. His sister Anna was telling me about cleaning out Matt's bedroom and bathroom. That must have been extraordinarily difficult. I can only imagine.

Michael and I did talk about the memorial service coming up in a few months and he said that he did not want to attend. I told him that he had to go for his mom. He just had to but we could make it easier by flying him to LA in the morning and home the same evening. Since I can't fly, I would not be able to attend.

Because we have gone to Las Vegas to visit Mary every year, we get offers of discounts from the big hotels on the strip. I could get Michael a room at one of them for $29.00 a night. I tried to encourage him to stay there as he could get away, eat some good food, have a couple of cocktails and just take a breath away from all the drama. Instead, the family has made a reservation at a cheap hotel near the condo, which is really only 10 minutes off the strip. I tried.

He is going to have a tough weekend.

No comments: