Thursday, January 31, 2013

Yoga Sore

I am sore this morning from the 90-minute yoga class from hell. I am finding that it is a challenge I can't walk away from. It is tough. I even began working on doing a head stand! Yes, me! I got my legs and hips high is the air for several minutes. A major feat! It actually felt pretty good. I am also doing a type of push ups to help build strength in my abs. I can see the shape of my body changing.

During the yoga classes, I noticed that when we were on our knees doing leg work, I would become very short of breath and begin to sweat. Clearly, I should be using oxygen during that part of the workout. For the first time yesterday, I brought it along. When we came to the part when we are on our knees and swinging the leg into the chest then straight back with a high kick, I turned on the oxygen. It helped and I kept it on for about half of the class. When we did sitting and lying down work, I was able to remove it all together. I think I got a better workout and able to push myself harder with the supplemental oxygen support.

Emotionally, I gave up noticing people looking at me weird when I am wearing it but in a setting of all very "healthy" people, they all seemed to move away from me. It felt like whatever I had must be contagious! The teacher was great, as she knows a bit of my story. The rest of the class, not so much.

There is a long to-do list of errands and bill paying already in the car for this morning plus a visit with mom before the rehab class. There is springtime weather expected today so I will sit in the garden after class. Natalie invited me to a gala fundraiser next month for her private children's chorus. It is a fancy affair so I want to climb back into my black Calvin Klein dress I bought for Shelley's wedding and wore for the French dinner in the city last weekend. It looks best with high strappy sandals instead of with hose, so I need to get some sun on my legs.

Orchestra rehearsal went well last night and the dress rehearsal is tomorrow night. My brain was firing on all levels throughout the evening. Lots of work.

So, into the day I go. A bit sore but feeling very strong, standing very straight and feeling very good.

No comments: