Saturday, February 2, 2013

Climbing into the Day

I am tired. I climbed out of bed moments ago with the thought that the next time I was in bed, today would be over. The yard work, spending the day with mom, cooking dinner, playing cards then the concert followed by driving her home are all on the schedule. It is going to be a very long day.

On top of it, I played horribly last night. In the concert hall, the set up was that we are playing on the floor off the small stage behind the cellos, their sound is going up and out but not back towards us. We just can't hear them. Then my friend who plays tuba, was trying to hear us during the symphony and just couldn't but was able to see our bows moving from the corner of his eye. That gave him his cues. Wacky! We were trying to hear the bassoons from across the stage, which helped us a bit. I was so focused on the sound and trying to adjust to the space that I was not reading the difficult music well at all. It was very disappointing. My hope is that the old adage is true that a bad dress rehearsal makes for a good performance. I think it is fear and the threat of a live audience that really does it! We are meeting at 5:30 for a 6:00 call tonight to go over the difficulty parts again so I have another chance to hear everything and adjust. I hope. Not a fun way to go into a concert.

First things first but next up is the Superbowl. Concert then Superbowl. It has been madness here in San Francisco. People are so excited. Imagine, World Series and Superbowl winners in the same season! That would be wonderful. We are invited to Jim and Kathy's house for the game and dinner. Crab. Fresh crab smothered in garlic. Yes, please!

Here I go. Wish me luck. Hopefully, I will live through it all!

UPDATE: I phoned mom at 8:00 morning and woke her up! She is usually up so much earlier. I asked if she really felt up to spending the entire day and concert with us. She still is dealing with hip pain and I don't want her exhausted facing her surgery on Monday. I also know that she will force herself be with me as she wants to be a trooper. My first phone call to her - she wants to still do it all. Fifteen minutes later she called back - "maybe you're right." She has decided to stay home and try to heal. I think it is the right decision. We will also be taking her into the doctor to be sure she doesn't have a crack in her hip as she is still in pain after almost a week.

No comments: