Friday, February 8, 2013

Family

I do not want to get sick. Worried that Wednesday was a bit too much drama, I took yesterday off to rest and re-coop. I cleared my calendar. We both slept in, I checked in with mom then went to get a manicure, a pedicure and my eyebrows waxed in anticipation of the fundraising gala Saturday evening. Pretty pink toes! Then, a two hour nap happened. It felt fantastic.

Minutes after the nap, Michael's mom phoned and we spoke for the first time since Matt died. Her daughter left for her home in Tennessee last weekend and suddenly, it was very quiet around her. We spoke about grief and how she is just beginning to adjust to her new "normal." The great news is that Anna's son and family live just minutes away and have included her in family outings, which is very good for her. The bad news is that many people in the family want to put off the memorial and Mary is having a hard time with that. I felt the same way when dad died. I felt our lives were on hold until he was properly buried. There is a reason for the ritual. It is the end. The finale. The grieving process can begin. The problem? Some of the family feel that she can't handle it right now. Will she ever be ready to handle it? My opinion - it needs to happen sooner rather than later. But, I can only watch from afar.

Other family news: Michael's niece who is 6-months younger than William dropped out of high school and had a child as a teenager. She and her mom and high school aged son live together in Tennessee. She had been dating a man for a while, he moved to Florida and wanted her to quit her great job to follow him, he wasn't working, she was in the process of moving when she found out he had lied to her about many things so she went back home to her son and mom. Suddenly, just months later, she announced that he was living with them and they were getting married. It was a huge mistake but she just wanted to be married. On Facebook yesterday and less than two months after the wedding, she announced that he left her because "he just couldn't live like she lives." He also owes her a lot of money. Today, she is taking the day off of work to burn every photo and item related to him. I predict they will be back together in six-months. There are huge self esteem issues involved so I fear she views him as her last chance. Ugh!

No comments: