Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Naggings in my Brain and Menus for the Week

Lamb Gyro Burger with Greek Salad
One of the recipes for the week
Mom and I both feel that we did a good deed yesterday. Peg was so thrilled to be with her for a few hours as we celebrated her 92nd birthday. It involved a lot of driving and energy and I didn't get home until past rush hour but it was so satisfying to see my mom and her friend together.

In two weeks, I will be having an echosonogram for pulmonary hypertension, PFT tests and a meeting with Dr. K. to discuss the results all in one day. During the ILD Support Group Luncheon last year, I spoke with a doctor whom I have admired, an expert on my disease and the doctor who has been overseeing my case. I told her that I had been struggling with bronchitis since March and she later advised Dr. K. to have me tested for pulmonary hypertension. It was rather shocking to me to see that one of the symptoms is an enlarged pancreas and liver, both of which I have and are being monitored by the Liver Clinic. I so hope I do not have PH as that is really bad news. The test was negative several years ago when a CT scan suggested that I might have it.

Nervous. Apprehensive. Anxious.

It may explain why I have not been sleeping well. That is nagging in my brain then it suddenly switches to the upcoming memorial service for Matt. Not only am I anxious about all the things I need to do before we leave for a few days but I am more worried about dealing with the twin and his wife. It is going to be a dance to physically stay away from them both in Anna's little house after the services. Wedding and funerals always bring emotions to the surface and people say things they later regret. I don't want to be drawn into any conversations or say anything at all that can later be misquoted.

This morning, I am having my hair done, grabbing some groceries and trying to take it a bit easy. The dinner recipes for this week are below. I make each recipe to serve either 4 or 6 servings and then we eat the leftovers for 2 or 3 days. Enjoy!

Gyro Burgers with Greek Salad - I buy the Trader Joe's Tzatziki Sauce instead of making it -
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/gyro_burgers_greek_salad.html

Ginger Beef with Broccoli - with rice for Michael -
http://www.calorieking.com/recipes/Beef-and-Veal/Beef-and-Veal-Dishes/Gingered-Beef-with-Broccoli_Y2lkPTImc2lkPTE0JnJpZD00NTM.html

Red Enchilada Chicken - I cut the chicken breasts in half for each serving - I will serve this with a vegetable - http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/red_enchilada_chicken.html

Pork Chops with Walnuts and Blue Cheese - This recipe is no longer available online so cook four 4-oz pork chops and mix the following together to serve on top of the hot pork chops:
Roast 1/4 cup chopped walnuts in a pan.  Mix the slightly roasted nuts with 1/2 cup Roquefort cheese and 2 chopped green onions. I serve apple sauce to Michael as well as a side salad. Makes 4 servings.

No comments: